Warm Weather Pests to Be On the Lookout For
Each season brings its own pest problems. Summer’s warm weather and plant growth encourages pests that were hibernating all winter to reemerge. Keep an eye out for these warm weather pests:
- Rats: Rodents are a problem year-round, however rats do not breed during the summer so their presence is more noticeable. While seeing a rat is outright unsettling, it is also very dangerous. They harbor and carry harmful diseases such as the plague and salmonella.
- Carpenter Ants: These pests chew through wood, not for food but for shelter. They can cause structural damage as they create tunnels and establish colonies behind your walls. Carpenter ants eat protein and will most likely reveal themselves in your kitchen where there is food.
- Mosquitoes: You’re likely well aware of the dangers of a mosquito bite. More than just a red, itchy bump; mosquitoes carry and transmit diseases like West Nile and Zika. Check out these tips to prevent mosquito bites.
- Spiders: Most spiders found in the U.S are harmless. They’re not venomous and many have mouthparts too delicate to penetrate human skin. This doesn’t make them more fun to have around.
- Termites: These silent dwellers go to work during the summer months. They reemerge in the Spring, shedding their wings and pairing up with a mate. Although you can’t see behind your walls, telltale signs of termites are their wings, and a tapping noise.
If you’re experiencing pest problems in your home, contact the professionals at Knockout Pest Control. Pests are difficult to get rid of and most long term solutions cannot be done through DIY efforts.