How to Identify Crickets
Crickets are everywhere on Long Island, New York City, and surrounding areas. If they find their way into your home or business, they can quickly turn into annoying pests.
Cricket populations peak during the summer, yet the real problem for homeowners and businesses starts in the fall. That is when crickets begin seeking a warm place to lay their eggs. If they get inside, you could have a nasty problem on your hands in the spring when they hatch in numbers. A female cricket can lay between 150 and 400 eggs in one season.
Three species of crickets are common to homes and buildings in our area.
- Field Crickets are large (up to ¾ inches long) and have dark brown or black bodies with large rounded wings. This species is known for its chirping.
- House Crickets are yellowish-brown in color, with three brown or black stripes behind their heads. They can cause significant damage to fabrics, especially if they are in large numbers.
- Camel Crickets are about the same size as field crickets, but are tan in color and have distinctive humped backs. They prefer cold, dark areas.
THE SIGNS OF Crickets
Are you concerned about a potential cricket infestation in your home? It’s important to be aware of the signs of their presence so you can take steps to eliminate them.
Some common signs of a cricket infestation include:
- Seeing live crickets crawling around your home
- Hearing chirping noises, especially at night (crickets are most active at night and make a chirping sound by rubbing their wings together)
- Finding small, brown droppings (cricket droppings)
- Seeing small, oval-shaped egg cases (called oothecae) in your home
If you suspect that you have a cricket infestation, it’s important to act quickly. Crickets can damage fabrics and household items, and their presence can be a nuisance.
THE RISKS OF CRICKETS
Cricket infestations can be a risk in any home, as these pests are attracted to warm, damp environments. If left unchecked, a cricket infestation can become a nuisance and pose a number of risks.
Some of the risks associated with a cricket infestation include:
Damage to Household Items
How WE KNOCK OUT CRICKETS
Knockout Pest Control is your local expert at knocking out crickets–and we keep them down for the count. Every member of our team receives over 100 hours of classroom instruction and in-the-field training so you are guaranteed a knock out punch to your pest problem every time.
Get Rid of CRICKETS Fast
Call 1-800-244-PEST (1-800-244-7378)
We respond like every pest problem is an emergency with fast, 24 hour service seven days a week.