How to Pest-Proof Your Home This Holiday Season
The holiday season is filled with lights, presents, tons of great food, and — lots of pests inside of your home! While you might not think of pests hiding inside of your home during this most wonderful time of year, believe us — they’re there. Here’s what you should be doing to remove pests that are escaping the cold weather by hiding in your decorations:
- Christmas Tree – Before you bring the Christmas tree in the house, give it a good shake. Oftentimes there can be ticks, spiders, beetles, ants, and all of their eggs hiding within the branches.
- Decoration Boxes – When unpacking boxes of decorations, inspect them for any gnaw marks, droppings, or actual pests inside of them. The presence of these indicate an infestation that should be inspected further. Replace this storage box as well.
- Firewood – Keep firewood outside of the home, on a raised platform or structure, and make sure it’s at least 20 feet away from the house. Termites can feed off of this wood, therefore, you need to keep it as far away from your house as possible.
- Holiday Lights – Before hanging and plugging in holiday lights, inspect them for damage. Rodents are known for chewing through electrical wires, so keep an eye out for any possible damage.
- Dinner Preparation – When preparing your family holiday meals, make sure you’re cleaning as you go. Spilling liquids and crumbs can increase your chances of developing a pest infestation. You want to make sure you’re also using fresh ingredients and food supplies, as expired ones could be infested with pantry pests.
- Storage Boxes – When packing up holiday decorations, make sure you’re using plastic storage containers. These containers are difficult for pests to get into or gnaw their way through compared to the typical cardboard box.
Don’t let pests ruin your holiday celebrations, eliminate them before they’re present at your family dinner. Professional pest control is the best solution for the removal of any infestation