Do You Know How to Pest-Proof Your Home This Fall?
Fall has finally arrived! While we all get to enjoy cool weather for a few wonderful weeks, as the temperature drops, pests will look for shelter inside of your home until next spring. Here’s what you can do to keep them outside of your humble abode.
- We’re sure you’re tired of paying high energy bills, so the windows will be open for most of fall to let in some free, cool air. Make sure all screens in your windows and doors have no holes or slits.
- Add mesh screens over any openings on the exterior of your home. This includes the chimney, attic ventilation, dryer vents, and any electrical or plumbing lines that lead in or out of your home.
- Check all of your windows and doors to see if there are any drafts and air leaks. If so, look to add weatherstripping for ill-fitting frames and caulking to any that are cracked or damaged.
- Add door sweeps to doors that have a large enough space between them and the floor.
- When it comes time to start chopping some firewood for your fireplace or wood burning stove, stack it cautiously. Make sure all wood is stacked at least 20 feet from your home (preferably on a raised platform).
- Clean out gutters of any leaves and debris. This moist and cluttered environment is the perfect habitat for bugs, rodents, and birds.
Now that summer is gone, many pests will look toward your home as a warm and cozy place to live. When you discover a pest infestation in or around your home, contact Knockout Pest Control. To learn more or to schedule an inspection, give us a call at (800) 244-7378.