Cockroaches and Your Allergies
For those who suffer from allergies and asthma, the spring and summer can be difficult times to breathe. Dealing with airborne allergens, scorching temperatures, and high humidity is not a fun time at all. Now add in the allergens that a cockroach infestation will bring, and you’re sure to have some serious respiratory issues.
Are They in My Home?
Just because you’ve never seen a cockroach in your home, doesn’t mean they’re not there. Hiding spots for these pests are endless, so you could go years without ever seeing one run by you! If your home or apartment is in a city with a large population, your chances of having cockroaches increases. Roughly 63 percent of homes have a detectable level of cockroach allergens, according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
Tips to Prevent & Control a Cockroach Infestation
- Prevent your home from accumulating too much moisture. Replace and repair leaky pipes, have your crawl space or basement insulated, and utilize your HVAC system to keep a low humidity level.
- Go through your pantry and throw away any expired food. For all of the fresh food that’s in boxes, transfer them to plastic containers with airtight seals.
- Don’t let the trash sit in the house for too long. Take the garbage out every few days and make sure it’s in a scented and sealed bag.
- Routinely clean and disinfect commonly used surfaces around the house. Kitchen countertops, tables, sinks, showers, etc. regularly see use and should be wiped down multiple times per week.
- Remove all crumbs and dirt from your home because cockroaches live in filth. The cleanest of homes can still develop an infestation, but are a lot less susceptible if they’re kept up. Always eat over a plate on a table and vacuum the flooring of your home often.
Even the smallest trace of cockroach allergens can trigger a person’s allergies, so it’s best to keep them from entering your home. When you do see a cockroach scurry across your kitchen floor, contact the pest management professionals at Knockout Pest Control. To learn more, or to schedule an inspection, give us a call at (800) 244-7378.