Inside of your garden is a variety of different plants and flowers, some of which will attract pests that you do not want near your plants. Luckily, there are a select few plants you can sow to help repel those pesky pests! This use of flowers and plants to help keep insects and wildlife out of your garden (and aid in the growth of other plants) is called companion planting.
- Marigold – Deer will avoid marigolds because of their toxicity and strong scent. This flower will also keep beetles off of asparagus, Mexican bean beetles off of melon plants, nematodes off of eggplants, and tomato worms off of — you guessed it, tomatoes!
- Nasturtium – Repels various species of beetles.
- Tansy – Repels cabbage worm and cutworm
- Dwarf Zinnia – Will attract predatory bugs that will feed on many species of garden pests.
- Zinnia – Plant specifically near cauliflower to attract ladybugs. These lady-like bugs will feed on garden pests that typically feed on cauliflower.
- Borage – Borage will help tomatoes reach their full potential by repeling worms and attracting bees that will further pollinate them.
- Summer Savory – Protect your beans from bean beetles by planting summer savory right next to them. You should also be using this summer savory as a seasoning when cooking those beans.
- Sage – Repels carrot flies.
- Basil – Repels mosquitoes, flies, and hornworms.
- Dill – Repels aphids and mites.
- Horseradish & Potatoes – Because of the strong scent of horseradish, it does a great job at deterring potato beetles.
- Radishes & Spinach – Plant radishes next to spinach leaves to keep leaf-miners away from your healthy greens.
- Beans & Corn – Corn is typically eaten by leaf-hoppers, leaf beetles, and armyworms. Since beans attract predatory insects that feed on the aforementioned pests, plant your beans and corn right next to each other.
For those who are looking to keep pests from damaging their plants and flowers, be sure to include some of these select repellent plants. When your home or property becomes infested with pests, contact Knockout Pest Control. To learn more or to schedule an inspection, give us a call at (800) 244-7378.