About Bee Stings From the Mind of a Beekeeper
Everyone has been stung by a bee at least once — and it’s not a fun experience. Even though you’ve been stung, how much do you really know about bees and their stings? Knowing information about bee stings can help you stay calm when it does happen in the future.
Unless you are allergic to bees and their stings, they are actually quite harmless. Yes, the initial sting does hurt, but afterwards you will be fine. If stings were so harmful then they wouldn’t be used to help treat arthritis and multiple sclerosis.
Many people often confuse bees with wasps and hornets. While they do look similar they are very different creatures. Unlike a wasp and hornet, when you get stung by a bee the stinger will break off of the bee and remain lodged in your skin. If you’re stung by a bee try to remove the stinger as soon as possible by quickly scraping it off or pulling it out.
After a bee sting, swelling is almost guaranteed to happen. Each person will react differently to being stung so one person may have a small bump while the other has a large swollen bump. Different parts of the body also react differently to being stung. Areas on the face, like the eyes or lips, will swell up more than any other place on the body. Being stung in fatty areas can be a tad more painful and bony areas can have arthritis-like pain and aches.
Roughly 95 percent of the population is not allergic to stings and have nothing to worry about other than some slight discomfort. However, if you are a part of the other five percent then you should head straight to the hospital if you are stung.
Being stung by a bee is not the most fun thing that will happen to you in your day, but as long as you know the facts you’ll be okay. When your home and property is infested with bees, hornets, wasps, or any other type of pest, contact the professionals at Knockout Pest Control. To learn more, or to schedule an inspection, give us a call at (800) 244-7378.
Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+!