BREAKING NEWS: Did you know ants love hanging out in your kitchen, especially during the summertime? As one of the biggest nuisance pests in the United States, ants can become a big problem real fast. Your kitchen is like the holy grail to these little nuisances and here’s what you need to know about them.
The Kitchen in the Summer
Do you find yourself snacking in the kitchen when you’re bored? You’re not the only one that likes to do this — ants will snack on food all day long which is why they’re drawn to your kitchen and pantries. In addition to their normal quest for your crumbs and food, ants need a dependable supply of water — especially in the summer heat. Leaky pipes underneath the sink, puddles near the dishwasher, and spills can give these ants everything they’re looking for.
How to Avoid Ant Infestations
Keeping ants out of your home isn’t the hardest thing to do, but it’s something you should consider doing right now while the sun’s heat is turned up!
- Store all boxed foods in airtight containers
- Immediately wipe up spills and sweep away fallen crumbs
- Do not allow dishes to pile up in the sink, wash them or place them in the dishwasher
- Take out the trash on a regular basis
- Avoid leaving out fruit to the point of it becoming over ripened
- Have any leaks addressed and fixed; under the kitchen sink, the faucet, the refrigerator, and the dishwasher
Who doesn’t love hanging out in the kitchen? People, dogs, cats, and yes — even your friendly neighborhood ants! When your home becomes overrun with ants or any other type of infestation, contact Knockout Pest Control. To learn more or to schedule an inspection, give us a call at (800) 244-7378.