When you’re a homeowner, there are a lot of things you need to know. You need to know the basics of your home’s plumbing, HVAC system, electrical, appliances, lawn care, and the list goes on and on. One of the most important things you need to know are the ways you can prevent pests from coming into your home.
There are hundreds of species of pests in the United States, some of which are more active during specific seasons. During the winter, rodents, cockroaches, and spiders are some of the most common pests you can find throughout in your home. Rodents will chew through everything in sight, cockroaches will make you sick, and spiders… well they’re just plain creepy.
Tips to Keep Winter Pests Away
- Seal all cracks, gaps, and holes on the exterior of your home with silicon caulking and wire mesh.
- Use the same caulking and mesh to seal openings on the inside of your home, like around the opening of pipes that enter your home.
- Add weatherstripping to windows and doors that don’t properly fit their frames.
- Place door sweeps underneath doors that have a rather large space between them and the frame.
- Have all leaky pipes and clogged drains repaired to prevent a buildup of moisture in your home.
- Keep a clean house by only eating in the kitchen, wiping up all crumbs and spills immediately, and keeping all garbage in scented bags that are taken out every other day.
- Keep all firewood at least 20 feet away from the house, as this is the perfect place for pests to hide until they find a way into your home.
Following these tips can drastically cut down on your chances of ever being infested by the most common of winter pests. When you fear that your home is infested with pests, contact Knockout Pest Control. To learn more, or to schedule an inspection, give us a call at (800) 244-7378.