It’s the time of year when we all start getting a little bit nervous about fall critters getting inside our homes. With the temperatures dropping, it’s true that many common pests will be seeking warm shelter for the cooler months. Read on to learn more about three of the most common fall pests we see in New York—crickets, rodents, and bed bugs—and learn more about how you can prevent them in your home this season.
Bed bugs are small, nocturnal, hitchhiking pests that feed on blood. They are commonly found in mattresses, box springs, bed frames, and headboards, but bed bug infestations aren’t limited to beds or even bedrooms. Because of their hitchhiking nature, bed bugs are a common fall pest travelers deal with. It’s very common to pick them up in hotel rooms, on various forms of public transportation, and in metropolitan areas.
Signs of Bed Bugs
- Blood stains on sheets or pillowcases
- Dark spots of bedbug excrement on your bedding, mattress, or walls
- Fecal matter or shed insect casings near your bed
- A new, musty odor
How to Prevent Bed Bugs
- Thoroughly inspect the luggage rack, mattress, bedding, and furniture in hotel rooms
- Use a protective cover that encases your mattress and box spring to eliminate hiding spots
- Reduce clutter to reduce hiding places for bed bugs
- Vacuum frequently
Rodents like mice and rats are also a common fall pest in New York. These critters are not only startling to find in your home, but can cause health risks, property damage, and fire hazards. The most common rodents we see in New York homes are the House Mouse, the Deer Mouse, and the Norway Rat, all of which leave behind some easily identifiable signs of activity.
Signs of Rodents
- Droppings, often near corners of rooms or around holes in walls
- Urine stains on walls or floors
- Scratching sounds
- Damaged food boxes
- Gnaw marks
- Greasy rub marks along baseboards
How to Prevent Rodents
- Seal all holes around pipes or wires with steel wool or caulk
- Store food properly in tightly sealed containers
- Keep your home as clutter-free as possible to prevent hiding places
Crickets are another nuisance pest New York homeowners deal with during the fall as they seek warmth and humidity throughout the cooler months of the year. Typically, you’ll find crickets in areas like your basement, crawl space, garage, bathroom, or kitchen, as these are the areas where they’re most likely to have their needs met.
Signs of Crickets
- Chirping! Several species of crickets are known for their mating calls
- Visible crickets in the home
- Chewed fabrics
How to Prevent Crickets
- Reduce moisture by implementing dehumidifiers in your basement and/or crawl space
- Fix leaky pipes and fixtures in and around your home
- Ensure gutters aren’t clogged and water is flowing away from your house
Knock Out Fall Pests with Knockout Pest Control
Make the most of fall…without pests! Bed bugs, rodents, and crickets are covered by Knockout Pest Control’s pest management services.
For more information, call 1-800-244-PEST.