As you’re enjoying your summer by spending time outside, there’s a band of invaders trying to get inside. Ants, spiders, crickets, and even bees are among the insects looking for food and shelter within your home. Here are some tips to help keep these bugs at bay.
- Keep a lookout for specific warning signs and problem areas. For instance, seeing “scout” ants that stray away from their group, can mean there are more on the way. Check outside your house for standing water, dry brush, and firewood, as a number of insects, are attracted to them. Clean them up or at least keep them away from your home.
- “The best way to prevent pests from getting inside is to make sure the outside of the structure is clear and secure,” says Arthur Katz of Knockout Pest Control. Areas of entry for bugs include: windows, vents, pipes, chimneys, and roof shingles. Make all of the necessary repairs if there are any gaps or holes in these.
- Keep your home clean to keep pests away, especially the kitchen. Vacuum regularly and make sure trash bins are covered and sealed. Don’t forget to always use a plate when eating — you may see crumbs, but pests see a feast!
- Keep food in sealed containers in the pantry and refrigerator. Fresh fruits and pet bowls are also a big attraction so keep an eye on them. Anything you may leave out to snack on should always be sealed up when you’re done with it.
- Wet areas are both drinking water and a breeding ground. Don’t leave sinks with dirty dishes and standing water in them, and always check to see if the pipes beneath your sinks are leaking. If they are, call the plumber immediately. Basements and attics can also be damp places filled with bugs, so you may need a dehumidifier.
- To deter ants, try cleaning your cabinets with white vinegar. Ants also dislike black pepper, cinnamon, mint, and red chilli powder. Put a light dusting where ants have been previously spotted.
- If you have done all you can but still have a problem, know when it’s time to call a pest management professional. If there is evidence of the presence of termites or bed bugs, do not try to handle this yourself — Call Knockout Pest Control immediately.
For crickets, ants, spiders, bees, termites, bed bugs, and a host of other household pests, ask about Knockout’s KO-12 plan. Knockout Pest Control is the expert at knocking out household pest problems – and we keep them down for the count. We serve all of Long Island, New York City, and Westchester & Rockland Counties. Call (800) 244-PEST for 24-hour service, seven days a week.
Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+!