It’s likely happened – you’re out for a late night summer stroll around the neighborhood when you notice what looks like a bird flying erratically. That’s no bird (or plane, or batman.) It’s a BAT.
Brown bats are the most common bat species found in New York and Long Island. They feed exclusively on large insects like moths and are nocturnal animals. A pest control professional is needed in order to ensure safe, proper removal of bats for a number of reasons.
- Although they are not looking to bite humans, they will if they are approached or feel threatened. Bats are known to carry rabies, so a bite means months of painful rabies shots.
- They are also known to carry bedbugs. If you see a bat in your home or business, a bedbug inspection should follow.
- Their feces can grow a fungus that can cause Histoplasmosis, a lung condition.
- Bats can nest inside ductwork and chimneys. If not removed properly, dead and decaying bats can be odorous and attract maggots, flies and other pests.
- An indication that bats are present are their droppings. Be especially mindful of this on the exterior of the home.
Seeing a bat in your home or business can be extremely off-putting. There are no home remedies for bat control so a professional is needed to ensure proper removal. Bat control is covered in our effective and affordable Integrated Pest Management Annual Package KO-12 Program that provides you with pest protection throughout the year.