How to Prevent a Bed Bug Infestation and Avoid Bed Bug Problems
Preventing a Bed Bug Infestation
While Long Island, New York City and the entire New York region has seen a dramatic increase in bed bug infestations, you can avoid getting bed bugs. Here are some tips on how to prevent bed bugs from crawling into bed with you.
Bed Bug Training
The following video presented by the Family & Children’s Association of Long Island, featuring Knockout Pest Control President Arthur Katz, includes some great tips on how to prevent, identify, and treat a bed bug infestation.
Inspect Your Hotel Room for Bed Bugs
- Travel is the top source of bed bug infestations. Either you or your guests could be bringing home unwanted guests. Prevent a bed bug infestation: A little extra vigilance goes a long way.
- When you travel, inspect your hotel room. Put your luggage in the tub and then conduct a bed bug search. Pay extra attention to the bed and nearby furniture, but also check drawers, cracks around the baseboard, luggage racks and closets. Bring a flashlight and do the search with the lights off to improve your chances of finding these light shunning creatures.
- Just because you haven’t found evidence of bed bugs in your hotel room, doesn’t mean they aren’t there. Play it safe and don’t leave clothes, shoes or luggage on the floor, the bed or other furniture. Hang things up—even your purse—and use the racks.
- When you arrive home, leave your luggage outside or in the garage or seal it in a plastic bag until you have time to deal with it. Washing and drying clothes in extremely high heat or freezing belongings for many days can kill some bed bugs, such methods are not practical and are far from fool proof. A better option is to use the Packtite® Hot Box . The Packtite is a collapsible container that holds anything that has been exposed to bed bugs and heats them at a temperature that is safe for your belongings, but deadly to bed bugs and their eggs. Contact Knockout to rent a Packtite—or, if you are a frequent traveler, you can buy one from us.
- While politeness might prevent you from treating the belongings of your guests through this same treatment, do be extra vigilant for bed bugs after their departure. Conduct a thorough inspection of their room and stay alert for several weeks to make sure they haven’t unwittingly left any bed bugs behind.
- Once you get home and shake out and clean all your belongings, keep alert for signs of bed bugs. If you aren’t sure if you have bed bugs, calling in a professional to make an inspection can be inexpensive peace of mind. Many professionals will install early warning devices so you can detect their presence before they become an infestation. (You can get ClimbUp™ bed bug interceptors from us)
When You Have Bed Bugs You Need the Best
If you don’t prevent a bed bug infestation and find yourself with a bed bug problem, call us. Bed bugs are a serious problem that requires choosing the most qualified help you can find. Knockout Pest Control exceeds the New York licensing requirements with both QualityPro and Quality Pro Green ratings, awarded to fewer than 10% of pest control companies nationwide. You are assured of:
Knockout Pest Control Can Knock Out Your Bed Bug Infestation
If you find yourself facing down a bed bug infestation, we can knock them out and keep them down for the count. Our innovative, green treatments, like Cryonite®, and our deep knowledge and bed bug expertise puts them down for the count. We serve all of Long Island, New York City, and Westchester, Rockland and Bergen Counties. Call 1-800-244-PEST or 1-800-244-7378 for fast, 24 hour service seven days a week. We don’t have the big red boxing glove in our logo for nothing!
Knockout is a proud member of the following trade organizations
Founded in 1980, IFMA is the world's largest and most widely recognized international association for facility management professionals, supporting 24,000 members in 104 countries.
This diverse membership participates in focused component groups equipped to address their unique situations by region (133 chapters), industry (15 councils) and areas of interest (six communities). Together they manage more than 78 billion square feet of property and annually purchase more than US$526 billion in products and services.
The Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) International is a federation of 91 BOMA U.S. associations and 18 international affiliates. Founded in 1907, BOMA represents the owners and managers of all commercial property types including nearly 10.5 billion square feet of U.S. office space that supports 1.7 million jobs and contributes $234.9 billion to the U.S. GDP.
The National Pest Management Association (NPMA), a non-profit organization with more than 7,000 members from around the world, was established in 1933 to support the pest management industry's commitment to the protection of public health, food and property. This commitment is reflected both in the continuing education of pest management professionals and the dissemination of timely information to homeowners and businesses.
The NYPMA is The Voice for pest management companies all throughout New York State. Becoming a member could be one of the best possible investments you’ll ever make for your business. Not only will you have the backing of the New York Pest Management Association behind your company, but you’ll also get listed locally within our directory. This is a big plus for consumers or businesses looking for a legitimate pest management provider they can trust.
CAI provides information, education and resources to the homeowner volunteers who govern communities and the professionals who support them. CAI members include association board members and other homeowner leaders, community managers, association management firms and other professionals who provide products and services to associations.
GreenPro, the world’s largest and most credible green certification program for pest management professionals, recognizes companies within our industry that are committed to providing commercial and residential customers with reduced risk, comprehensive, and effective pest control services.
AA++ in all respects. Contract treatments are effective (mice, termites & insects). Office staff informative but most of all, the field technicians are without exception, professional, personable and polite.Rick T. Glen Cove, NY Read All Reviews
First time used it. Dealt with mice, bees and ants. Very good experience. The technician was patient and explains to me everything he did.Chao C. Manhasset, NY Read All Reviews
We have had a contract with Knockout Pest Control for 9 years. They have been highly responsive when we have needed them. It's worth the money.Gina L. Long Beach, NY Read All Reviews
The gentleman arrived on time was super nice took the time to explain the service which was provided and left in a timely manner. I will use again.Dame F. Uniondale, NY Read All Reviews
I have been using Knockout Pest Control for almost one year now. They are consistently knowledgeable, on time, and overall provide excellent customer service. I appreciate the 30 minute advance call prior to a service visit immensely given our busy schedules. They will return until the issue is resolved or prophylactically as requested. I highly recommend this company.Alexa K. Pelham, NY Read All Reviews